Want to work with us?
Check back here for an updated job listing.
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Manager, Health Research Informatics in our Techna Institute.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
Reports to: Project Director
Pay Range: $92,071 – $115,089 per annum (Commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN Compensation Policy)
Hours: 37.5 per week; 9:00am to 5:00pm; Monday to Friday
Status: Permanent Full-time
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN’s five research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
Techna at UHN is focused on the accelerated development and exploitation of technology for improved health. The Health Research Informatics Team at Techna is seeking a dynamic Manager to work on innovative IT solutions that improve the quality of complex care and accelerate research. The Manager will have the opportunity to work with a multi-disciplinary team of Clinicians, Scientists, Business Analysts and Software Developers who are passionate about advancing data science in the health. The successful candidate will work on technologies that are used by clinicians, nurses, researchers and patients. This is an opportunity to contribute to innovative, high-impact healthcare projects.
- Lead and oversee all aspects and day to day operational and administrative functions of the Health Research Informatics Team at Techna
- Collaborate with research programs, principal investigators and other stakeholders in enabling research and optimizing clinical care at UHN and partner organizations
- Work closely with the Techna leadership team in the development and implementation of operational and strategic initiatives
- Supervise the technical staff, fostering a positive, collaborative, customer-oriented working environment
- Ensure efficient operational processes, and effective allocation of resources
- Prepare and manage team budget, and run a financially and operationally sustainable department, in close partnership with Research Financial Services and Techna Leadership
- Carry out limited business development with external clients and liaise with UHN legal to see through the agreements to sign off
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills, including development of performance metrics
- Demonstrate ability to think strategically, listen carefully, negotiate, build consensus, communicate and advocate effectively in a complex matrix organization.
- Demonstrate advanced computer skills, particularly with the Microsoft Office suite of applications. Proficiency with electronic and printed reference materials.
- At minimum, completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Health informatics, Computer Science, Health Administration or recognized equivalent, and or a Master’s degree preferred
- Over five (5) years of relevant and/or related experience in the health-related field required
- Five (5) years of experience in supervising, mentoring staff required
- At least five (5) years in a technical management /development role required
- Experience with leading a team of software developers
- Solid understanding of software development lifecycle
- Prior experience in a research, clinical research environment an asset.
- Experience in evaluating, developing and writing grant proposals an asset
- Knowledge of government funding agencies and requirements (CIHR, NIH)
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliverables
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to express complex technical concepts effectively
- Well-developed leadership, listening and conflict resolution skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills, customer relations and ability to act with discretion
- Excellent problem recognition and solving abilities
- Knowledge of applicable legislative, UHN and/or departmental policies and procedures
- Ability to manage multiple priority projects and timelines efficiently
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team, and meet deadlines required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, database and applications
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand